In the event of a civil disturbance
The building coordinator is usually given advance notice of a civil disturbance (such as a planned demonstration or protest) and will advise departments as information is received. Campus spokespersons are designated to communicate with the demonstrators and to manage the situation, based on the type of demonstration (e.g., Student Affairs representatives for student demonstrations, Human Resources representatives for staff demonstrations).
Most demonstrations remain peacefully outside the building. The building is open to the public during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and is closed as is customary in the evenings and on weekends and holidays.
Should there be disruptive behaviors or anticipated disruption, the building coordinator may order a lockdown in consultation with the UCD Police Department. The decision to evacuate is made by the building coordinator in consultation with the UCD Police Department.
In the event of a demonstration outside the building
- Continue with your normal routine.
- Remain away from doors and windows.
- Lock interior offices and stairwell doors to prohibit entrance, as needed.
- If the building is locked to prohibit entrance, employees may enter and exit through the north doors, unless otherwise instructed.
- If there is a decision to evacuate, follow the evacuation procedures in Section 6, Evacuation.
In the event of disruptions inside the building
- Ensure your safety first.
- Notify the Police if they are in or near the building, or call 9-1-1.
- Contact your supervisor if you are in a state of anxiety and wish to request to work at an alternative site.
If there is a decision to evacuate, follow the evacuation procedures in Section 6, Evacuation.